Introduction to Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University
Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU) was established in the year 1982 through a State Legislature Act called the APOU Act, 1982. This was the first ever Open University in country which formalised Distance Education concept following its motto, 'Education for ALL'.
It is a UGC and DEB recognized University working its way up to provide higher education to all the willing and needy sections of the society including the prisoners held up in the Central Prison of Cherlapally, Warangal, Rajahmundry, Vishakhapatnam, Kadapa and Nellore through its exclusively setup Study Centre apart from other 213 study centres spread across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh which are highly equipped with latest technology.
BRAOU has variety of programmes belonging to major streams like Commerce, Science, Arts, Education and Management which are carefully designed to enable the learners to face the worldly challenges and carve a niche for themselves. They have both UG and PG courses including Diploma and Certificate programmes.
BRAOU was exclusively set up for distance education and thus its education quality is unmatchable with high-end vast and beautiful campus well equipped with libraries, laboratories, auditorium and the like.
Why Distance Education a rage now?
Distance Education is now being seen eye to eye with the conventional education system in terms of learning, skills, jobs, etc. We have come a long way from when distance education was considered incongruous and not worthy. Thanks to the advancement in technology and brilliant Universities like BRAOU who are revolutionizing this unique stem of education system.
Distance Education is like a blessing for Home-Makers, working people, researchers, etc because this education system does not discriminate between age, place and time. No matter what age are you, wherever you are placed, it is never too late to gain education.
Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University Distance Education MBA
MBA programme was first started in the year 1993 with a vision to instil the graduates with specialised skills for managing their day to day life and solving the critical business situations efficiently. They also provide second specialization to the willing candidates if they already possess valid MBA degree from this university. Success of BRAOU is visibly amazing as they have been running this programme successfully for 27 years in a row which boasts of following facilities to the candidates enrolled for MBA here:
- Availability of Audio and Video recordings at all study centers
- Video and teleconference telecast through Doordarshan & Saptagiri channels including Radio broadcast through AIR
- Self-Instructional Study Material designed by experts
- Frequent counselling sessions by experts.
- Access to Library in Study Centre
Course Structure and Examination
It is a 2 year programme with maximum extension upto 4 years for completion. English is the medium of both teaching and answering. It is spread out in 4 semesters with a thoroughly revised course including Project work and viva voice in last semester along with choosing of one specialization area from Finance, Marketing and Human Resource Management. There will be 4 examinations each after end of semester and even if the candidate fails or couldn’t appear in an exam, he/ she can still continue this course by paying tuition fees for Year 2.
Accounting for Management
Information Technology for Managers
Human Resource Management
Business Ethics & Corporate Governance
Management Information System
Innovation & Knowledge Management
Specialization Course-Finance, Marketing and Human Resource Management (Choose 1)
Subjects under specialization
- Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Research
- Advertising & Sales Management
- Retail Management
- International Marketing
- Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
- Financial Markets & Services
- Management Control Systems
- International Financial Management
Human Resource Management
- Performance Management
- Labour Laws
- Management of Industrial Relations
- International Human Resource Management
MBA programme in the university is open for these categories:
- Fresh Graduates with at least 50% marks and 45% in case of reserved category. Graduates with Medicine, Law, Architecture, Pharma, Engineering and Technology can also enrol.
- In-Service Candidates with minimum 3 years job experience at supervisory/middle/top level with NOC from employer along with written certification from employer stating the duration of service and designation (Annexure 1 in prospectus).
- CA, ICWA and CS
Admission in BRAOU is not on merit basis. Candidates will have to take a compulsory entrance test. Rank obtained in Integrated Common Entrance Test (ICET) from Telangana/ Andhra Pradesh is a mandatory requirement to get admission in BRAOU. On the basis of the rank, admissions will be taken and study centres will be allotted.
Year 1: Rs. 10,150/-
Year 2: Rs. 10,000/-
(To be paid in full each year. Cash payment is strictly prohibited.)
Candidates are evaluated on the basis of continuous assessment, which include assignments comprising of 30% weight-age. Remaining 70% is for Term End Examination (Externals) held after the end of each semester. Complete details of the assignments and the last submission date, is given on the official website of university.
Admission Process – How to Apply?
- Candidates who wish to pursue will have to fill Online form available on the official website of University with direct link for online portal- https://www.braouonline.in/
- The print out of the filled in form along with requisite attested copies of certificates should be submitted in the Study Centre where the candidate wish to take admission.
- Payment can be made through Net banking if you have an account in SBH or through Debit/ Credit Card or TS/AP Online centre.
- Attested copies of the following certificates should be enclosed with the online form:
- ICET Rank Card-2019 (Original)
- Birth Certificate
- Degrees and Mark sheets
- Social Status Certificate (SC/ST/OBC)
- Other relevant certificates like physically handicapped etc
- Detailed step by step guidance on how to fill the online form is given on page 12 of prospectus which can be downloaded from university’s official website: