IGNOU MBA is one of the top distance education MBA courses in India.
When we think about distance education, IGNOU is the first name that clicks to our mind. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) was established back in 1985 and was named after former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
IGNOU is the largest university in the World with more than 4 million students.
The university was started with the aim to make higher education accessible to disadvantaged segments of society.
IGNOU MBA Summary
- Name of the University: Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Name of the course: Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Minimum Duration: 2.5 Years
- Maximum Duration: 8 Years
- Age: There is no age bar to join this course
- The student must be a graduate with 3 years professional experience. 50% marks in graduation are required for general category students and 45% marks in graduation are required for reserved category students.
- Students with professional degree including CA/ ICWAI /Medicine /Engineering /Law /ICAI with 50% marks are eligible for admission
- All students are required to clear OpenMAT conducted by IGNOU.
- Specializations: IGNOU offers the following MBA specializations
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Finance Management
- Financial Markets Practice
- Fee Structure: The total fee for IGNOU MBA is 31,500/-
- Admission to IGNOU MBA is done on the basis of the score obtain by a student in IGNOU MBA entrance test known as OpenMAT.
- OpenMAT is conducted twice in a year in the months of August and February.
- To appear in OpenMAT, students need to fill up the application form for OpenMAT and send it to IGNOU HQ.
- Successful students in OpenMAT will be offered admission in IGNOU MBA.
About The Distance Education MBA Course Offered by IGNOU
The MBA course offered by IGNOU is one of the top distance education MBA courses in India. IGNOU MBA course is offered by The School of Management Studies (SOMS) of Indira Gandhi National Open University. SOMS was started in the year 1987 and currently offers 4 Management programmes and 14 programmes in Commerce.
IGNOU also offer MBA programme in African countries.
IGNOU deliver the MBA course through self-instructional printed course material and multimedia.
The self-instructional printed course material is sent to all students who enrolled in the programme by post.
For face to face interaction with counsellors and Audio-Video sessions, students can visit study centers. IGNOU also run videos lectures on Doordarshan, and Audio programs on All India Radio. These are some unique features of IGNOU MBA that none of other University offer.
IGNOU keeps developing new programs and make some changes in the existing programs to keep up with the new changes that are taking place in the business world. In the recent past, IGNOU also collaborate with apex institutions to develop new courses in the field of management.
If you are a working professional and wants to acquire managerial skills or you want to upgrade your managerial skills, IGNOU Distance Learning MBA course is for you.
IGNOU MBA Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission into IGNOU MBA course is as follows
- The candidate must be a graduate to be eligible for admission in IGNOU MBA course.
- For general candidate 50% marks are required at graduation level and for reserved category, 45% marks are required for admission.
- Candidates are also required to clear an entrance test called OPENMAT conducted by Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- There is no age bar for admission.
OPENMAT is an entrance test that IGNOU conducts twice in a year. Students seeking admission in IGNOU MBA programme are required to clear OPENMAT exam to qualify for admission.
If you wish to appear in OPENMAT exam, the last dates for submitting your filled-in application form are 15 July and 15 December of each year.
The entrance test is usually held in the 3rd Sunday of August and 1st Sunday of February every year.
If someone wishes to appear in both the OPENMAT exams, it is required to apply separately for both the exams.
IGNOU MBA Admission Procedure
As we have mentioned earlier in this article that people with a graduation degree can apply for admission in IGNOU Distance Education MBA programme.
Although, they are required to clear the OPENMAT Examination, which is conducted by IGNOU twice in a year all over India.
IGNOU sends a result card to all the students who appear in the entrance test. In result card, IGNOU mentions if a student has cleared the entrance test or not based on the merit cut off score decided by IGNOU.
Successful candidates can apply for the admission by filling up the admission form (form 2) available in the IGNOU MBA prospectus.
After filling up the admission form, it is required to send it to the regional director along with the required documents.
For more information regarding the admission process, someone can refer to the prospectus.
IGNOU MBA Fee Structure
There are total 21 subjects in IGNOU MBA programme. The fee for each subject is INR 1500. So the total fee for IGNOU MBA course would be 1500*21=31500.
Fee is not refundable in any circumstances.
Students can pay the fee through a demand draft obtain from any schedule bank.
Make sure you write your name, enrolment number and address at the back of the of the demand draft.
All students including the students from the reserved category are required to pay the fee in full.
Students from the reserved category can apply for the scholarship that is available to the students of PG courses from Government of India, by filling up the scholarship form
IGNOU Management Courses
Below is the list of management courses offered by IGNOU
- Doctoral Degree
- Doctor of Philosophy in Management (PHDMGMT)
- Master’s Degree
- MBA (Banking & Finance)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- BBA in Retailing (BBA(Retailing))
- Specialisation PG Diploma Courses
- PG Diploma in Financial Markets Practice
- PG Diploma in Human Resource Management
- PG Diploma in Marketing Management
- PG Diploma in Financial Management
- PG Diploma in Operations Management
- Diploma Courses
- Diploma in Management (DIM)
- Certificate Courses
- Certificate in NGO Management (CNM)
Frequently Asked Questions
How to download IGNOU MBA Prospectus 2019?
IGNOU MBA prospectus 2019 can be downloaded from IGNOU official website through this link.
Is there any entrance exam for MBA from IGNOU?
Yes, Students are required to clear an entrance exam called OpenMAT to join IGNOU MBA.
What is the registration fee for IGNOU MBA entrance exam OPENMAT.
IGNOU OPENMAT entrance test registration fee is Rs. 1000/-. Fee once paid is not refundable.
How can someone pay the registration fee?
Registration fee can be paid via Credit Card (Master/Visa), Debit Card (Master/Visa/Rupay), and Net Banking.
What are the documents to be submitted for Entrance Test?
There are no documents required at the time of submitting the form for entrance test. All documents will be required for admission after you qualify the exam.
What is IGNOU MBA entrance exam form last date?
IGNOU conducts OpenMAT exam twice in a year in the month of February and August.
· The last date of submitting application form for OPENMAT XLV for July 2019 is 14th February, 2019.
What is the availability for IGNOU MBA application form?
IGNOU MBA application forms can be filled and submitted on IGNOU official website. The online application fee for IGNOU OpenMAT exam is Rs. 1000. Application form for OPENMAT XLV will be available from 17th January 2019, and the last date to submit filled application form is 14th February 2019.
How much does IGNOU MBA cost (fee structure)?
The total cost of IGNOU MBA course is Rs.31500/-
Is direct admission to IGNOU MBA available?
All students are required to follow the admission procedure set by IGNOU to get an admission in IGNOU distance MBA. No, direct admission is allowed. You need to clear the entrance exam to get an admission.
Is experience required for MBA from IGNOU?
Students who do not hold a professional degree in Engineering/ Medicine/ ICAI / ICWAI/ ICSI, and Law are required to have 3 years managerial/supervisory/professional experience to get an admission in IGNOU distance education MBA.
What is the IGNOU contact number and e-mail address?
The IGNOU contact number is 011-29532073. Students call on this number between 9.30AM – 6.00 PM (Monday to Friday).
Students can contact IGNOU School of management studies (SOMS) on their email email@example.com