Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU) has been providing degree, diploma and certificate programmes in various fields through Open Distance Learning (ODL) mode, since its establishment in the year 2002 by the government of Tamil Nadu.
TNOU has set up 13 'Schools of Study' dedicated to different study areas for easy maintenance and inter-disciplinary actions within TNOU like School of Social Sciences, School of Management Studies, School of Humanities, School of Science, etc.
The programmes at TNOU are recognized by various statutory authorities like RCI, DEB, NCTE and UGC.
With 8 regional centres and plenty of Learning Support Centres across Tamil Nadu, TNOU has covered majority of the state unlike other universities operating in the state.
About TNOU Distance Education MBA Courses
School of Management Studies (SOMS) has been established by Tamil Nadu Open University to effectively maintain the Management programmes and thus all the proceedings for MBA (General) are taken care by the above mentioned school.
MBA at TNOU is UGC recognized and DEB approved which is innovative and student centered. Its Learning centres (LSC) are technology equipped and have well maintained library for high end distance education.
The University conducts yearly exam for MBA program. The MBA course offered at TNOU is general MBA. Counselling classes are held at respective LSCs from time to time, schedule of which is updated on the official website of TNOU. Self instruction study materials are made available at LSCs across Tamil Nadu.
The syllabus given below is for MBA (General):
- Management Functions & Behaviour
- Managerial Economics
- Financial Management and Accounting
- Quantitative Techniques
- Management Information Systems
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management
- Operations Research
- Research Methods
- Operations Management
- Business Laws
- Strategic Management
- International Business Management
More detailed description of syllabus can be accessed through TNOU official website.
Eligibility & Fee Structure
Eligibility for TNOU Distance MBA
For admission in MBA programme from Tamil Nadu Open University, applicant should have Bachelor’s degree from recognized University as a minimum requirement.
Fee Structure for TNOU Distance MBA
Fees for the complete course at TNOU is Rs. 21,000/-
Year-wise Fee breakup:
Year 1- Rs. 10,500
Year 2- Rs. 10,500
Payment is to be made online. However, Admission fee, Registration fee and Examination fee can be made through demand Draft/ Challan also.
Admissions are carried out between two cycles:
- Calendar year- January to December
- Academic Year-July to June
- Admission process is offline and online both. Application form and prospectus can either be downloaded online from official website of TNOU or can be physically collected from Regional Centres, Learning Support Centres and University Counter on Payment of Rs 100.
- If you wish to receive the prospectus and application form by post then Demand Draft of Rs 150 should be posted to the Deputy Registrar of Material Production and Distribution Division, TNOU, 577, Anna Salai, Saidapet, Chennai-600015 which should be drawn in favour of “Tamil Nadu Open University” payable at Chennai
- Self attested copies of Marksheets, Degrees, Birth certificates along with latest photograph and signature should be uploaded on the above mentioned official website link of the University in JPEG format.
- If the certificates mentioned above are not in Tamil or English language then a certified true version (translation) should be enclosed attested by a duly authorized person.
- Duly filled Application form should be uploaded on the website along with relevant certificates and documents before the last date.
- For further doubts and step by step online form filling pictorial guidance, please go through TNOU official website.
- Contact information for School of Management Studies:
Examination system at Tamil Nadu Open University is highly automated and no manual intervention is entertained. Term End Examination is held once a year in each batch cycle.
- For Calendar year cycle, exams are conducted in the month of December/ January.
- For Academic year cycle, exams are conducted in the month of June/ July
Students can apply for Revaluation or Re-totaling within 15 days of result declaration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the last date for submission of application at Tamil Nadu Open University?
Usually for Calendar Year Batch- 31 December and For Academic Year Batch- 30 June is the last date for application submission at Tamil Nadu Open University. Any extensions in deadline are duly notified on the official website of TNOU and in Newspapers.
Q2. What is the maximum duration allowed by TNOU to complete the MBA degree?
Tamil Nadu Open University allows a maximum of 8 Years for MBA learners to clear all the papers.
Q3. Is it compulsory to attend the classes or counselling sessions regularly at Learning Support Centre?
No, you are not bound to attend the weekend classes or counselling classes, as TNOU is an Open University. But, if there are any workshops, hands-on training or practical sessions scheduled, then it is a compulsion to attend them.
Q4. Is there any age limit for admission in MBA from TNOU?
Applicant should be minimum 21 years old. However, there is no upper ceiling on age at Tamil Nadu Open University.
Q5. Is the any scholarship available for SC/ST students in TNOU?
Reimbursement of fees is possible for SC/ST category if the student is not employed and his parents annual income does not exceed Rs. 1,00,000/-. Differently abled students are also eligible for Tuition fee exemption upon producing the disability certificate with Rs 300 challan. For more details, see the link: http://www.tnou.ac.in/scholarship/
Q6. Can two degree programmes be studied simultaneously from Tamil Nadu Open University?
No, one cannot enrol for 2 degrees simultaneously at TNOU, it is not permitted by UGC guidelines.
Q7. Where can I find the MBA prospectus of Tamil Nadu Open University?
The MBA Prospectus for TNOU can be downloaded from TNOU official website.
More Popular Universities in Tamil Nadu & South India